Claims Counsel - Hybrid
OverviewOur client, a specialty insurance company with a niche market position, is seeking to add a Claims Counsel to their team. As Claims Counsel you will interact with policyholders in investigating, evaluating, defending, and resolving errors and omissions claims against them.
The successful candidate will be responsible for all aspects of the claims process, including:
- Managing a portfolio of interesting claim files spanning various areas.
- Managing claims in-house and directing external legal counsel and professionals in resolving them
- Instructing, formulating, and implementing litigation and repair strategy from monitoring to defense, motions, trials, and appeals.
- Working with top Ontario Counsel in high-profile matters.
- Handling cutting-edge legal issues
- Coverage evaluation.
- Setting claim reserves.
- Reviewing, interpreting, negotiating, and drafting agreements.
- Responding to insureds and claimants.
- Litigation management.
- Negotiation of settlement and authorizing payments as required.
- Investigating, evaluating, and resolving claims directly and in conjunction with internal and external counsel, claims adjusters, and consultants.
- Acting as a legal resource for the company’s various business units.
You are the ideal candidate if you have/are:
- A JD/LLB and are licensed and in good standing as a lawyer in Canada;
- A minimum of 8 years of litigation experience (more experience is welcomed!)
- Experience in any one or more of the following: civil litigation, corporate/commercial, bodily injury, wills & estates, tax or real estate;
- In-house insurance industry experience is considered an asset;
- Able to identify and implement file strategy in conjunction with external counsel and the insured, and revise strategy where necessary to achieve the desired outcome;
- Able to take a proactive and creative approach to claims handling;
- Keen to develop expertise in many areas of law, including insurance coverage;
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to meet demanding deadlines;
- Are able to make effective use of technology;
- Strong critical thinking and analytical capabilities;
- Forward thinking and have a collaborative approach to problem-solving;
- Ability to learn quickly;
- Solid litigation and people skills are required.
If this describes you, and you are interested in joining an organization that provides a competitive compensation package, a stimulating work environment, and promotes great work-life balance, send us your details.
Life After Law
1920 Yonge Street,
We thank all applicants. Only those candidates with the required expertise will be contacted.
Permanent / Full Time