OverviewAre you looking for the opportunity to use both your legal and government relations skills in a hybrid role?
Our client, an established Toronto financial institution in the consumer lending space, is looking to add a Director, Legal & Government Relations to the team. In this role you will play a crucial hands-on role in developing and executing our client’s government relations strategy, in addition to advising and supporting on a range of legal matters. This role requires the ability to develop and manage complex relationships with key government, media and industry stakeholders. Monitoring relevant government policies, legislation and regulations, this individual will raise our client’s visibility among key decision-makers.
Your Responsibilities will include
- Developing and implementing a strategic approach to government relations that balances our client’s business requirements with the intricacies of all levels of applicable government
- Advising on complex legal matters and effectively tailor recommendations and solutions to meet business goals as outlined by the Senior Leadership Team
- Positioning our client as a leader in the Canadian policy space by engaging with trade associations and highlighting relevant issues to advance their government relations agenda
- Identifying, addressing and managing the company’s complex government relations needs in support of strategic objectives,
- Closely monitoring government relations activity in all jurisdictions where our client operates and tailoring recommendations and solutions to meet business goals
- Building and implementing engagement plans with federal, provincial and municipal government officials, as well as other industry stakeholders, to raise awareness, achieve policy objectives and strengthen our reputation
- Collaborating with Chief Legal Officer to implement the strategic GR plan, including the implementation of GR objectives and promotion of organizational goals and brand objectives with key policy makers and decision makers
- Developing engaging material for government and stakeholder engagement, such as presentations, briefing notes, speeches, consultation responses and other forms of communications collateral to promote objectives and enhance the organizational profile
- Working with internal SME’s to evaluate public policy priorities, identify opportunities and risks and lead organization-wide responses to legislative initiatives and consultations, in addition to responding to general inquiries from elected and non- elected decision makers on key issues
- Developing a strong and effective working relationship with all levels of the business in order to provide proper direction, influence and counsel with respect to all legal matters (for example: corporate, commercial, real estate, trademarks employment, litigation, etc.)
- Identify and supporting advocacy efforts with industry – leading associations and bodies to position our client as a market leader
- Managing relationships with government relations agencies, ensuring timely and appropriate completion of assigned work and partnering with key internal stakeholders and the communications team to integrate proactive media outreach into communications efforts
- Leading the development and support of a comprehensive policy, public affairs, and stakeholder relations program that advances our client’s strategic objectives and corporate reputation
- Providing support, and providing legal direction on applicable regulatory and governance requirements relating to merger and acquisition, partnership and sponsorship initiatives and proposals that may evolve through strategic planning or in the normal course of our client’s growing business model.
- Leading or instructing external counsel, on legal proceedings, behalf of or against the Company to safeguard the legal interests of the Company
- Drafting and reviewing legal agreements with third party service providers and partners, ensuring that they are appropriately worded and protect our client’s interests and performance
- 3-8 years of related experience, either in a legal, an applicable public sector role or in a corporate government relations capacity
- Membership in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario, with demonstrated expertise in all relevant areas of the law
- Strong government and public relations acumen, including deep knowledge of various levels of government
- Project a strong presence, with superior relationship building skills and proven success in connecting with different functional areas, partner groups, and member groups, as well as with internal and external stakeholders
- Proven experience in developing and implementing government relations, public relations and media relations plans
- Strong communications skills, both written and verbal.
- French – English bilingualism is an asset
- Excellent writing and editing skills with ability to translate technical and sensitive information for various audiences
- High attention to detail with ability to work under pressure and at times under tight deadlines
- Confident and pro-active self-starter, skilled in taking initiative, assessing requirements, formulating plans and taking the lead in making plans a reality
Toronto - Hybrid
Permanent / Full Time